August J. Braun, inventor, visionary, adventurer and philanthropist, founded Braun Mfg. Co., Inc. in 1925 in a small shop in Waukegan, Illinois. In the beginning the business crafted a variety of metal products as well as hinges. Gus carried the business through the trying depression and in 1938 moved the manufacturing company to Chicago where business multiplied. Besides the various types of butt, piano, strap, spring and loose joint hinges, Braun Manufacturing produced latches, keepers, pulls, rakes, and a variety of other stamping, assembly and complete product services. Gus Braun dedicated the company to: “EXTENDING THE BEST QUALITY AND SERVICE POSSIBLE” and focused on the ideal that: “THE CUSTOMER IS OUR BOSS”
Charles R. Braun, began working at the company in 1947 as a mechanical engineer. He worked in every area of the business and learned all the aspects of manufacturing from the ground up. In 1974, Charles was appointed president and has continued the traditions established by his uncle, demonstrating his leadership through aggressive yet sound policy making, In 1996, the company moved to its present location, in Mt. Prospect, Illinois, expanding to include more than 72,000 square feet of manufacturing space which modernized and improved both plant and office capabilities, including the addition of laser fabrication.